Review of LAN Switch Security Posted

Amazon.com just posted my three star review of LAN Switch Security: What Hackers Know About Your Switches. From the review:

I really looked forward to reading LAN Switch Security (LSS), simply because it covered layer 2 issues. These days application security, rootkits, and similar topics get all the press, but the foundation of the network is still critical. Unfortunately, LSS disappointed me enough to warrant this three star review. I'm afraid those before me who wrote five star reviews 1) don't read enough other books or 2) don't set their expectations high enough.

The bottom line is that if you want to read a good Cisco security book, the best available is still Hacking Exposed: Cisco Networks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What were your disappointments?
Sean C said…
Ugghhh... I knew I was running against the clock at posting my review for LSS before your review. I'm about 2/3 the way through - and so far I'm going for a 4-star. One reason for my delay is I've been trying to load and use Yersinia. Not being UNIX oriented (dare I admit), I keep hitting hurdles.

I actually like this book better than the Hacking book (both our reviews are the top 2 reviews for that book). I agree with your assertion of overlap between chapters. Also, some areas I have had to read multiple times to understand. I think this book does a better job of presentation of the ideas than Hacking.

Oh well, my review will be created at some point...

Richard - as always, thanks for posting your valuable views. For you to post a 3-star - ouch!! I wasn't aware of the Routing book you mentioned in December.
Sean C

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics