etting Flash to Work on Mozilla 1.6 and FreeBSD 5.2 REL

freebsd.png" align=left>I hadn't had luck getting Macromedia Flash support to work on FreeBSD with Mozilla until today. I read this thread and learned I needed to install the www/linux-flashplugin6 and www/linuxpluginwrapper ports. I noticed the linuxpluginwrapper port installed these items:

/usr/bin/install -c flash6.so /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/flash6.so
/usr/bin/install -c acrobat.so /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/acrobat.so
/usr/bin/install -c java3d.so /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/java3d.so
/usr/bin/install -c java3d_snd.so /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/java3d_snd.so
/usr/bin/install -c jai.so /usr/local/lib/pluginwrapper/jai.so

I made a file called /etc/libmap.conf as directed:

# Flash6 with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany
[/usr/local/lib/linux-flashplugin6/libflashplayer.so]
libpthread.so.0 liblthread.so.3
libdl.so.2 pluginwrapper/flash6.so
libz.so.1 libz.so.2
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 liblstdc++.so.4
libm.so.6 libm.so.2
libc.so.6 pluginwrapper/flash6.so

# Acrobat with Mozilla/Firebird/Galeon/Epiphany
#[/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so]
#libc.so.6 pluginwrapper/acrobat.so

Note the Acrobat entries are commented out. I prefer to have Acrobat launch outside Mozilla. I also made this change:

orr:/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux# ls
nppdf.so
orr:/usr/local/Acrobat5/Browsers/intellinux# mv nppdf.so nppdf.so.orig

To avoid the annoying "plugin not installed" message, I made this change:

orr:/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/plugins# ls
libnullplugin.so.orig

Now I can visit the Monster Garage home page and see the Flash animations.

Update: I've decided to disable Flash. For some reason Mozilla consumes huge chunks of CPU and refuses to die after I exit. I've had to manually kill the processes left behind:

orr:/home/richard$ ps -auxww | grep moz
richard 87241 84.5 13.4 59224 51632 ?? R 8:53PM 10:46.83 ./mozilla-bin
richard 87229 0.0 0.1 908 344 ?? Is 8:53PM 0:00.00 /bin/sh -c mozilla
richard 87230 0.0 0.1 932 368 ?? I 8:53PM 0:00.01 /bin/sh ./run-mozilla.sh ./mozilla-bin

Oh well. I'll watch for improved versions. I may try the ideas here soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Zeek in Action Videos

New Book! The Best of TaoSecurity Blog, Volume 4

MITRE ATT&CK Tactics Are Not Tactics